Saturday, June 9, 2012

Adam's Canyon Hike

Today we went on a hike just a few miles from our home. It was beautiful - the sounds, the smells, the flora, the views - absolutely magnificent!!! It reminded me of camping and just made my soul happy! I want my family to really appreciate our Heavenly Father's beautiful creations (including our amazing bodies that did the hiking).

I think this was the first real hike we've taken the girls on and they were awesome! It was a 3.5 mile hike (round trip) and a 1,300 foot climb and took us about 3 1/2 hours. Carly and Ellie walked the whole way on their own. Aubree did about 1/3 of it on her own and the rest on Daddy's shoulders.


Starting out. Look how ambitious and energetic they look! I love Aubree's face in this picture.
My camera (phone) does not do the landscape justice - it can't capture the smell of pine and wildflowers and the sound of the wind and creek and birds - it was just so amazing!

The one who made it all possible! He kept us going and was optimistic that we could make it to the end. He basically carried all the supplies (and Aubree) for a lot of the hike. What a MAN!




 The 40 foot waterfall at the end of the hike is around a corner, so unless you've done the hike before, you don't know where the hike ends until you're there. We had been told that just when you feel like giving up, the waterfall would be just around the corner. Well, the girls and I had each taken turns giving up about 10 times, so I didn't believe them anymore. Finally at one point the girls and I decided to sit down and rest and let Aaron go ahead of us, take a picture of the waterfall, and come back to show us. That would be good enough. Well, Aaron went about 50 yards and waved to us that it was right in front of him. This picture is proof that we all made it to the end of the hike!
The end destination. The waterfall was a lot prettier than the picture shows, but I don't know if it was an adequate reward for such a hard climb. It was about 20 degrees cooler in this little alcove and the wind was blowing SO hard - so we couldn't fully enjoy the view. I was really looking forward to relaxing by the waterfall and absorbing all the energy and eloctrolytes from the waterfall. (We had told the girls about the electrolytes and I told them how the last time Daddy was next to a waterfall he had done two back handsprings, a back tuck, and landed in the splits. They knew we were kidding but we all had a real good laugh!) The big reward to me was the beauty along the way and the family time and just knowing that we all finished it.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

That is impressive that your kids hiked 3 and half hours!! that is so long and so far! My kids only like short hikes so we rarely finish them..but still enjoy them. So good for you! I have not heard of these electrolytes--I think I need some of those. Maybe next time you can go find the fountain of youth..let me know where it is at when you find it.

Carolyn said...

I still don't know enough about this area and I definitely didn't know about this hike! I'll have to find out where it is exactly. I need to feel some of that mountain energy you talked about.