Monday, June 24, 2013

A Very New England Weekend

We had such a fabulous weekend as a family! And I realized last night that everything we did this weekend were things that we only could have done here in New England. It's pretty great to live here!

Friday evening - Misquamicut Beach with the Jensens, Kitleys, Garretts, and Sister Missionaries (in this mission the missionaries are allowed to go to the beach when invited by members - just no swimming). The kids and adults alike had a great time! (Sadly, no pictures.)

Saturday - We went to Newport, RI for the first time to see the Breakers Mansion. It was Cornelius Vanderbuilt's extravagant (extravagant is actually an understatement) summer home. It was such an interesting tour. I would call this home the epitome of "conspicuous consumption" and "the gilded age". We wish we could have spent more time in Newport - a very beautiful and very New England town.

You can't tell how huge this gate is without someone standing by it - it is 20 feet high!

The Breakers Mansion is 65,000 square feet! 70 rooms.


This is the "play house", built for the two Vanderbuilt daughters. It is just as beautiful inside (not quite as lavish) and everything in it is an exact 2/3 scale of the big house. 
Look at their backyard - what a view!

Saturday night - Westerly Chorus Summer Pops at Wilcox Park. They had the Newport Orchestra/Symphony (I don't know the difference) accompany them. And they begin and end with the Newport artillery firing off their cannons. The music was wonderful and the weather was perfect. The last number of the program was the Star Spangled Banner - the whole audience (about 23,000!) stood with hands over hearts to sing with the choir while fireworks lit up the sky. Any time I sing that song, whether at church or in an audience like this, I feel so deeply grateful and proud of our American heritage - I had chills up and down my whole body as I sang!




Sunday - Church in our little branch at the President's home on the ocean.


2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so bummed that we never made it to the mansions.

Carolyn said...

How fun! It was so great to see you! Thanks again for making the effort!