a.k.a. Super-long Post
On May 10th Aaron earned his Masters Degree in the field of Landscape Architecture!
We moved to the Salt Lake area 3 days ago and . . . . lets just say we're getting used to it. I've shed a few tears of homesickness. I'm definitely not used to living in a big city (I.F. is the biggest city I've ever lived in).
Here are some graduation pictures:
Aaron and Steve Drown (Aaron's major professor)
My parents and us (Carly is such a character)
Aaron's parents and us (I was closing my eyes in most of the pictures)
Note: My mom - barely 5'; Aaron's mom - 4'10" Is there any question as to why Carly and Ellie are under the 5% on the height curve?
Missing Moscow: I wasn't sure what to expect when we came to Moscow 2 1/2 years ago, but I know I didn't expect to love it as much as I have. These are a few of the things we will miss here.
I think it is the people who really make a place great, and that is no exception with Moscow. We have so many great friends there that will be missed. I was really nervous about making friends when we moved here, but I had nothing to worry about because the people there are so wonderful!

-The Palouse rolling hills - much better in person!

- The beautiful U of I campus - old architecture and mature landscape
- Ladie's Nites with friends
- U of I Institute classes and "Happy Thursday" (fresh homemade bread at the institute building - free for all)
- The Nielsons (see the post below for more details)
- Our ward family. I know that Carly and Ellie are going to miss Bishop and his goodie jar.
- Library Story Time with Miss Kathy
- Farmers Market
- so many parks to go to
- the water park (we only went the first summer we were here, but it was fun the few times we went)
- the small college town atmosphere - some people would think I'm crazy, but I love the size of Moscow
- the people here, they are so down-to-earth and friendly.
- Eastside Marketplace's inside play area (it's great when you are desperate to get your kids out of the house in the dead of winter)
- The view coming down Rodeo Dr.
- Grittman Hospital (I loved their new maternity wing when I had Ellie)
- Main Street
- Loco Grinz Hawaiian "kalua pork" (I've tried to make it and it's just not the same)
- For the most part I think that Moscow is a good distance from SE Idaho (not too close, not too far)
- the opportunity to make friends who aren't LDS
- celebrating holidays for the first time on our own - I was really nervous about this, but I've really enjoyed starting our own traditions and not stressing about how to split our time between my family and Aaron's family.
- the Landscape Architecuture program (Aaron has learned a lot and really enjoyed it). Aaron has made friends with people he wouldn't have known otherwise. One person imparticular is Aaron's major professor, Steve Drown. He really saw Aaron's talent and potential and has given Aaron confidence in his abilities and really encouraged him. I am so grateful that Aaron had such a caring and excellent professor.
- the farm animals down N. Polk road (horses, chickens, goats)


5 comments:
I love the post. I will be really sorry when I have to leave here too. Thanks for all you did for us and your friendship!
Hey welcome to the big city of Salt Lake just remember you are not alone in the not loving the big time. I am still not sure about all of this. But we are atleast not in school... or maybe that is not totally a good thing. I am now trying to convince Jarod into becoming a teacher and moving back to Moscow. it hasn't even been 2 weeks, Im in trouble. We are around if there is anything you need.
Jamie and Jarod
Hey guys, congrats on the step forward, and now (a little) closer to us. We will have to get together when we come to Utah in late July. We hope things will only get better for you guys. It has now been a year for us, we still miss Moscow, but we are getting used to it. But, Taos is just getting better.
Congratulations on graduating! That is definitely an accomplishment the whole family can be proud of, since it took all of you to make it happen. We hope the adjustment to a bigger city goes well. That was hard for us at first too. But once you get used to things, it's great. Good luck with all! You guys are awesome!!
I have never been to Moscow but it looks so beautiful. I would be sad to leave it too! You have an adorable family. Good luck in SLC, I think you will love it there. Well I finally set up a blog too; meaksfam.blogspot.com
Post a Comment