
So, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to have my home fall apart and have my husband and children neglected while I read these books. (I have a disorder where I can't focus or concentrate on ANYTHING else, no matter how important, when I'm reading a novel.) OR, should I just wait for the movie? (Although, movies are rarely ever as good as the books.)
A couple of years ago I read the first book...or most of it. I wasn't that impressed (I can't even remember exactly what it was that bugged me about it). So, when all the other books started coming out and everyone started going crazy over them I just thought it was...well, crazy. But, lately I have read on so many people's blogs (and heard in person) about how awesome these books are. Now I'm starting to think I'm the weird one.
So, for those of you who have read it, do you think it's worth it?
And for those of you who haven't read it, why haven't you?
*Update 4-20-2012, I chose not to read the books and don't regret it. I have watched some of the movies and am not that impressed with them either. But we can all be friends still :)
16 comments:
Hey Camille!
I haven't read this series, because frankly it didn't sound that good to me. My aunt (on my mom's side of the family) has read some (or maybe all) these books. She's told me about them and I have listened to extensive conversations about them, but I still haven't found a desire to read them myself. Maybe its just because I am not a fan of vampires. I have started to wonder if I am one of the only ones that hasn't read them yet. By the way, I too have that weird disorder where I can't do anything else while I am reading a book!
SOOOOO READ THEM!!!! i'm sure the movies won't do justice to the books! honestly i had no desire to read them until my friend forced me to read the first one and then i was hooked! I LOVE THEM- i just finished all of them and i am already starting the first one again becuase i loved it so much! but i was also a young adult lit major...so i am kind of a dork for those things. did you read harry potter? TWILIGHT is better! go for it...DO IT-DO IT! (man, talk about peer preasure!) :)
I have not read them because for some odd reason I don't like to "Conform" I think I will read them when all the hype wears down. Let me know what you decide!
Hi Camille! :o) I did read the series and it's such a fast read. I just finished the 4th about a month ago. I was TOTALLY addicted, and I cannot really tell you why. I think it's worth reading. I really dislike reading, but with all the hype and so many friends telling me I just HAD to read them I decided to buy the first one.. then I thought, OK i'll try the second and so on. I'm NOT a fan of any type of sci-fi type stuff, but for some reason I could not put these down! I guess if you're not TOTALLY addicted with the first one (my favorites were the first and third), then I wouldn't go on.
Congrats on another baby girl! That's exciting! I'm sure your girls are thrilled!
I read them, and they're totally addicting. You really won't get anything done till you finish them all. However, if my daughters were 13, would I let them read them? No way! Although nothing actually happens in the books, there are some things that are kind of racy. Especially the 3rd & 4th books. That said, I'll still watch the movie!
I kind of had a love hate relationship with those books. I think the real reason I finished the series was because I was extemely bored at work. I don't know if I would spend the time reading them if I was you. Congrats on #3 you are so good at raising girls so who needs boys?
So I've read them all and enjoyed them. However, I think they are a little cheesy with the love part- stuff young adults don't really grasp but married people get. But having said that, it was fun to read them. I would try to get them on CD at the library and do laundry while you listen to them or while you go on a walk or play at the park. Reading them does go by fast and if you decide to read them and not get the CD's I have them all but #4. If you didn't get into the first book though I don't know if you would really like the rest.
Well, I think I am the only person in the world who didn't like Twilight (I only read the first) and I thought it was a waste of time (sorry to those who Love it, not to be too harsh.) I'm just not one for vampires and teenage love drama. However most everyone I know LOVES them, so you might too!? Good Luck deciding, however I don't think it takes too long to read!
I think we have already had this conversation. And I didn't like them either..only read 1st one and was so not impressed. I think they are too lustful for me to enjoy reading.
congrats on the news of the new baby girl! Girls are fun and of course you know that! anf on the book-- I say wait till the movie- but IM not a big book reader so that my opinion- good luck in Utah- Emily from moscow
I read them all and I LOVED them! The first one however wasn't my favorite one, so I can see how you weren't totally captivated. But keep reading. They are so good. I love romance and I thought she kept it considerable clean. (I actually wanted more dirt!!) The benefit of reading them now is that you don't have to wait for a year for the next one to come out. So fun to read them all at once! Don't wait for the movie, it won't be as good. But I am not gonna lie, I am pumped for it!
I have mixed feelings about them so I havn't read them. From what I've heard I havn't because she seems to reel you in then deliver trash in the last book. People compare them to harry potter and it can't be because harry potter was enjoyed by many age groups and this was written by a specific one. They sound juvenile and people sound silly when they talk about how obsessed they are (sorry). But if you read them, tell me what you think because i think you and I have similar taste and i would trust your opinion
I didn't love them, but so many people do. So now that you live in Salt Lake we should get together. I'd love to!
i read the first one a few years ago too for book club..probably the same time your read it and wasn't too impressed. I liked it wasn't in love with it. but when I started reading the 2nd I got hooked and then read the 3rd and 4th and cant stop thinking about them. I think I am just hooked with the characters and the love story...and can relate the story to my life. I am not much of a reader to begin with but I love love these books. I can talk about the plot, characters, everything and I usually can't remember things like that after reading a book...hence not big on reading books...but this one took over my soul : )
oh and about the 4th book. SHe is a member and so all the books are really really clean. obviously you read the first and can understand the reason behind that...I just love how she was about to make "not having sex" so popular and readable without being preachy. vampires can't have sex with humans because they will kill her...brilliant!!!! the 4th is a little more racy.......think mormon romance novel...im mean seriously not at all!!!! I don't know why people are so upset. some say the 2nd is the most boring but I really liked it because its was like my love story retold....which might be why I was so hooked.. anyway...really quick read...you will get all 3 read in like 2 weeks. too bad the girls are to young for girls camp...that would have been perfect.
They are definitely worth reading! I LOVED THEM!! I have started the last one but since the baby came I haven't been able to finish it...someday right?!
Post a Comment