(I tried to upload some of Aaron's work, but the files are too big I think. So, hopefully I'll be able to put them up in a future post.)
Aaron's dream has always been to teach at BYU-I someday (which is why we did the master's program in Moscow, only now BYU-I really encourages new hires to have a doctorate). So, we've been looking into some PhD programs hoping to find one that will allow him to get the degree without having to be on campus and still be able to keep his job here (not much luck with that). We've actually looked into some of the PhD programs at the U of I. It would be really weird to go back there - not in a bad way - just weird because we never thought we would ever see Moscow, ID again and a lot of the friends we had there are gone now. The ONLY reason we would even consider a PhD is for Aaron to have the opportunity to teach at BYU-I. But, we obviously can't guarentee ourselves a job there just because Aaron has a PhD. It would be so awful to go back to school (the irregular hours, the homework, the loans, etc) and not get a job at BYU-I and then try to find another job (especially if the economy is still bad).
Aaron has talked with some of the professors at BYU-I to get their advice and feedback about getting a job there. They have asked him to come and teach (sub.) this coming fall and spring while one of the other teachers is taking a sabbatical. Sounds like a great opportunity but, we would be out of a job afterwards. So, Aaron has told them no. For now we're just going to stay with his job here (hoping it lasts).
It seems like a lot of the talks in this past conference were about making it throught these rough economic times. Here are a few things from Conference that really comforted me:
In Pres. Eyring's talk "Adversity" he spoke of a man who had recently lost
his job.
"When I asked his wife on the day he lost his job if she was worried, she
said with cheerfulness in her voice, 'No, we’ve just come from the bishop’s
office. We are full-tithe payers.' Now, it is still too early to tell, but I
felt assured as they seemed to be assured: 'Things will work
out.'"
I am grateful for the peace it brings me in knowing that we pay tithing! Even if we did lose our job and face some hard times, I know we would be okay.
In Elder Christofferson's talk "The Power of Covenants" he told of a family who had lost their home and ALL their belongings in an earthquake. When the wife was asked how she could still have a smile on her face, she said,
"I have prayed and I am at peace. We have all we need. We have each other,
we have our children, we are sealed in the temple, we have this marvelous
Church, and we have the Lord. We can build again with the Lord's help."
There were also so many talks about going to the temple. We don't need to be afraid if we are worthy to go to the temple and go often.
In Elder Stevenson's talk he said that even young children are encouraged to touch the temple because Pres. Monson said, "as we touch the Temple, the Temple will touch us". So, for FHE this week we took the girls to Temple Square and let them touch the temple.
Ellie
17 comments:
What a great post! I hope that you and Aaron continue to do well and those girls are just so cute! I loved Elder Stevensons talk!
I have a lot of faith in Aaron because I know he is talented and because he is such a hard worker. The economy is really scary right now and you two are smart to be prepared in case they do have to let him go. Obviously the Lord is already blessing you by letting you know that you do have some other options. And if that is school it will only benefit you more in the future. It was amazing to hear all the wonderful counsel given in conference referring to the economy. Those two quotes you shared from talks are amazing--they had so much faith. I don't think I would be that positive but it helps to think about the second example of the lady who lost everything. It seems like there is always someone that is worse off. So if it helps, I have complete faith that things will work out for your family.
I love that you brought your girls to touch the temple too! Well, I hope you enjoyed your long comment and if you want to hear my other thoughts- you'll just have to call me:)
Great post Camille! It all seems to work out even if it is not what we plan for ourselves. I lvoed the examples you used.
WOw, times are so uncertin. When I heard about Aaron turing down the BYU-I teaching spot I was sad. It would have been so nice for you guys to have been closer even if it was only for a short time. Teaching maybe would have been a foot in the door for the future but who knows. Being without a job is also very scary!! Whatever you guys decide to do will be BEST for your family!! Aaron is so talented, no matter where he goes he will do well!!
You could come back here. I'm sure we will still be here:) Did you read on our blog that we are expecting?
camile, I loved reading your post. We have been in your position a few times during our marriage. 1-When my husband graduated with his MBA and 2- in Aug. 2007 the company he was working for declared bankruptcy leaving us unemployed for seven months with no severence or health insurance. I can't say it was always easy but you just do the best you can. We luckily had savings and had payed all of our tithing. This experience was a blessing in disguise. Our marriage was wonderful before but, we grew so much together during this experience that it's even more wonderful now. Whatever is supposed to happen will happen and it will work out...the lord will never give you anything you can't handle. You are in our prayers. :)
P.S. What a great FHE idea...the girls are adorable. :)
Don't you hate the pressure that comes with making major life decisions? I think there are so many ways we are guided that we don't even realize. You guys definitely have talent, hard work, and the Lord on your side, so there's nothing but an optimistic future!
Aren't these times crumby and nerve-racking? Thanks for optimism. I was so appreciative of the peace that our leaders were able to provide during Conference. We were sorry to not see you guys today, but don't worry, the weather didn't end up being great so we weren't there long. We'll call you next time.
I loved your post Camile. You are so strong and spiritual it is really inspiring to me. You guys will make it through this uncertain time and decide what's best for you and your adorable family :)
Man rough times!! You always were such an inspiration to me! Thanks for such an uplifting post. Keep us all posted!
Your words were inspiring. We do need to be so grateful for what we have!! I know everything will work out for you. Many of us are in positions that we aren't sure what to do. Everything will work it's way out!!
Hey to answer your question on my post... Yes, I am going to read the BOM by the end of August is my goal. We should do it together, keep eachother in check!
Loved you post Camile. You've always been such a great example to me and here is another way you've inspired me through your words. Aaron is so amazing and talented at what he does and I see him doing great things! Life is definately exciting with changes always coming. Through the challenges we get stronger and we can better help others as they go through their trials. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and cute pics of the girls touching the temple! How's Ellie's repotty training coming?
seems like a good option to go back to school if he ever does lose his job...thats what I hear a lot of people are doing. can't find a job...go back to school and live off of student loans :) its a win win!!!!
We were always told that criminal attorneys are pretty much recession proof because there will always be crime but this economy is even affecting lawyers...We are really glad we found a job for Craig...not in the area/field (state prosecution) we were striving for for the last 3 years but still criminal which is what he likes.. sure am missing all the great benefits that come with a state job, but at least he has one :)
I enjoyed your post. I loved the pictures of your girls touching the temple--cute FHE activity.
Hey guys! Sorry I just barely read this post (this is Kyle). I am a little behind with blog world. This definitely is a crazy time and it is affecting everyone. When I read your post, it reminded me of a quote by President Hinckley which has been on my fridge throughout school: "Get all the education you can... I do not care what you want to be as long as it is honorable. A car mechanic, a brick layer, a plumber, an electrician, a doctor, a lawyer, a merchant, but not a thief... If it means sacrifice, then sacrifice. That sacrifice will become the best investment you have ever made, for you will reap returns from it all the days of your lives."
This quote has really helped me many times when I wonder what in the world I am doing. Whatever you decide to do, I know you will make the right decision and the Lord will bless you. We love you guys!
I swear you have more comments than any other blog I read!
Anyway, good luck to you! It's so scary right now. Stephen's firm has temporarily layed off 5 people (2 of them were just brought back for a feaw weeks to work on a project though). Somehow Stephen's avoided it. We're very thankful! We're just praying things turn up soon for everyone!
Post a Comment