Carly and Ellie were playing Barbie's with one of their friends (who is a little more educated then they are). This was the conversation I overheard:friend: "...and you stole my boyfriend that I was going to marry..."
Carly: "okay, I married him"
friend: "and then I whisper 'she cheated on you' "
Carly: [a little confused] "I never cheat when I play games!"
At this point I jump in: "How about you pretend that your barbies are all friends and that they went to a circus together."
They're only 5! Is anyone else a little nervous about the sophistication of little kids these days? I love Carly's response - I just wish I could keep her innocent forever!
5 comments:
where do kids even hear it? Her friend prob doesn't even really know what it means either, but its sad to hear how young it begins. Come to my house - we can keep our kids in a bubble together for the rest of their lives!
I am scared too! I would be perfectly fine keeping my kids locked up unti their 18th birthday. Carly's response was the cutest. I love her innocence. Her friends' mom probably just watches too much Bachelor or something! (I'm guilty, but only watch it after the kiddies are in bed!) ;)
Oh, cute little Carly! It is scary to think about what they will be learning as they grow and go out in the world ... and that it seems to be at younger and younger ages. Some of my friends think "the talk" needs to happen when they are 8! I think I was in high school before I finally understood "the talk." I just have to remind myself that there are a lot of good things for them to learn about, too.
Hillarious and sad. I know the feeling. I sometimes think of homeschooling, not because I could teach them anything, but to maintain their innocence.
We all know its going to happen, but I just think it is so suprising when it hits so young and in your family. I was talking to a girl in my ward the other day about her 5 year old on the bus and some of the stories, topics, etc happening. I was stunned to hear her daughter told her about the kids saying "boys can kiss boys and girls can kiss boys its okay now" Such a different world now! :)
Post a Comment