Sunday, September 29, 2013

September 2001

I met Aaron for the first time at my friend Shawna's apartment. My friends and I were watching a movie when Aaron and his friends came to visit. We paused the movie to meet these guys and my first impression of Aaron was "I can definitely tell he is Brett's brother" (nothing more, nothing less), and I think that was the first thing I said to him. (His older brother, Brett, had married a girl who grew up in my neighborhood.) Well, I went back to watching my movie, and Aaron, along with a few other people, went into the kitchen to socialize. Several minutes later I heard laughing coming from the kitchen and saw that they were having a great time in there. My FOMO (fear of missing out) kicked in, so of course I got in on the conversation, which consisted of us joking around about how awesome it is to be a sophomore, and generally just have a very silly and funny conversation (you would have had to have been there to appreciate it) :) That night I talked to Shawna on the phone and told her she had to set me up on a date with that Aaron guy!

Well, a few weeks later I got a call from Aaron! (Major excitement and butterflies on my part!) He said, "I have a question to ask you.... what kind of weed killer do you use?" (it's a line from the seminary movie "The Telephone Call") We laughed (mostly a nervous, giddy laugh from me). Then he told me that he and his friends had a special date planned on Saturday the 20th (of October) and he wanted take me. I was scheduled to work that day, but said that I would try to switch with someone. He told me to just let him know as soon as I could so he could ask someone else if I couldn't go (I still remember being a little bugged that he said that - ha ha!).
Journal entry September 2001: 
"After I hung up with him I started screaming and I announced to my whole apartment that I was going out with Aaron Parsen [yes, I spelled it incorrectly] - I was soooo excited! I talked to Shawna about it later and she told me that he had a list of 3 girls that he wanted to go with and I was one of them. He choose me mainly because he had already gone out with the other 2 girls before."
Ha ha! It's so funny (and embarrassing) to read back through my journals!

Next installment: The Coffin Date

3 comments:

Kris said...

I love love love this!!!!

Shawna said...

I love this too!!! It makes me want to force my kids to write on their journals every day. Funny thing is that I don't remember the exact details of this...so what movie were we watching?? I totally remember being at Aaron's house while he was deliberating on who to ask. I put in a really good word for you;)! Obviously he was already pretty impressed with you. Will you beg Aaron to share his side of the story!?! For posterity of course. Someday I will follow your example and write some of my courtship memories. Thanks for this..totally made my day.:-)

Kris said...

P.S. I forgot to say, I hope there are more posts where this came from!!!!