Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Happy New Year! and Resolutions

This year we had our own little New Year's Eve party with just us. We decorated the house with balloons and surprised Daddy when he got home from work. Then we watched "While You Were Sleeping" for tradition's sake. We've watched that movie the previous three years with my parents (and anyone else who happened to join us) to bring in the new year. Carly was so into it - she was getting pretty stressed out about Lucy's counterfeit life and how the movie would end. We had hors d'oeuvres and sparkling cider during the movie and then made a new years treat to deliver to neighbors the following day (because we didn't do Christmas gifts/ goodies for neighbors).  

I love New Year's Resolutions. I tried to get my family all excited about it ... didn't happen! Even Aaron isn't really into goal setting. He's a super self-disciplined person so if he sees something he wants to change about himself, he just changes it - no fancy goal setting, vision boarding, etc. I, on the other hand, am not very self-disciplined, but I love to set goals and try to improve myself (even if I'm not always successful). I get a little anxiety whenever I think about goal-setting because there are so many things I want to improve in my life and so many roles I have - wife, mother, homemaker, church calling, physical, spiritual, and financial well-being.... it's a lot. So, I try to keep New Year's Resolutions pretty simple and always specify HOW I'm going to achieve them. I don't even know if these are really considered goals or not, but anyway, here's a few of them:

Better time management - I decided that one of my biggest time wasters is internet, so I have this little stick-it note on my computer:

Spending - again, this goes back to the self-control issue. I am a super frugal person - I would say that 98% of my clothing is either hand-me-down, consignment, or seriously discounted. But, I also love to have new things to wear and love new styles and trends, and all those consignment dollars add up. So, I am thinking about maybe, possibly (insert any other non-commital words you can think of) going to try to not buy any new clothes this year (unless it is gift money) - do you think that's even possible?! I don't know if it is, because right this very moment I'm thinking of how I really need some new capris or shorts for summer and how my black boots are starting to get a hole in them. But wouldn't that be totally awesome if I went a whole year without spending money on any clothes?! It would. I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to carry out this goal. (If either of my two faithful followers have any ideas, please share.)

Wife goal - It's pretty simple, but I really need to improve on this one: Treat Aaron as I want to be treated. I often hold higher expectations for Aaron than I do for myself. For example: it's totally legitimate if I'm frustrated or having a bad day to sulk around and be short tempered with everyone. But if Aaron's had a crappy day he better just pull it together and be cheerful ... or else! I'm not very patient with him and he is usually very patient with me.  So, I'm going to improve in this area by just reminding myself of how I want to be treated and give Aaron that same respect. (Sometimes the best way for me to change a bad habit is to just write it down and then let others know so I feel more accountable. It also just helps to keep it in the back of my mind so I don't forget about it.)

Mom goal - Be ready when the kids come home from school. Have the table cleared off so they can do homework, have a snack ready, be ready mentally to greet them (don't you have to prep yourself emotionally and mentally for your kids to come home?), have dinner started (or at least planned). 

Speaking of kids coming home from school .... gotta' go!

7 comments:

Shawna said...

I love this..I usually love news years resolutions too but this year I think I have been too exhausted to think about making them. Maybe I will get to it next month;). Love your resolutions though..maybe I should just use all of them instead of making my own. Actually the last few years I have just focused on one or two words that kind of encompass my overall goals...like simplify.
I love your sticky note. It is so hard to stay self disciplined when it come to being on the internet..there are so many distractions.
I don't think Curt ever has bad days..I am sure it is pretty similar to Aaron but I still have plenty of bad days so the principle is the same. I have totally been feeling like I need to do better with my kids.
As for the clothes...it is a really great goal. It honestly made me laugh out loud. No offense. I just have the same weaknesses and it is so hard to not want to buy clothes!!But more power to you if you can do it. Maybe you just need to set a more reasonable goal with clothing like I only spend x amt every month. And then I can't buy anything else. Or I only spend this much every other month and go a whole month without buying clothes. I think a monthly budget works best so that you don't binge and purge with the money by holding out. Well, good luck with those and keep us posted on your progress:)!

The UnMighty said...

I love New Years Resolutions for the first 2 weeks.
Good luck with yours.

Chance and Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chance and Beth said...

Love your goals! I feel the same, in that there are 1,000's of things I need to be doing better. I might have to implement the same ideas with computer controls!
If it helps any, I totally admire you, don't forget to give yourself credit on all of the awesome things you do! :)

Carolyn said...

Awesome goals! I am more like Aaron, Dustin is more like you. He has a list of elaborate goals and how he'll achieve them. I have a few jotted down in the front of my journal. It is too exhausting for me to think about it sometimes! I will follow your example and do a better job!

Leah said...

You are so awesome Camile! I think these are great goals! I loved the note on your computer. I think I need to do that. I've also had a goal to have all my "chores" done before the kids get home from school so I can spend time with them. I'm failing at that right now but this is a great reminder for me! Good luck with the no clothes shopping for a year. I know I would not be able to do it and would just be setting myself up for failure so I have no great ideas on how to accomplish that! Haha, but I know you CAN do it!!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

Great great post! So far behind (sorry). I love the sticky note! I am definitley going to put that on my computer as well! And spending, you are my hero! I don't know if I am mature enough to set that goal. You inspire me! Thanks for the reminder!