Friday, March 8, 2013

The everyday

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, savor you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may,for it will not always be so." 
-Mary Jean Irion

Right now our our family life is pretty normal. No major illnesses, financial disasters, or marital problems. But we do have the occasional cold or flu and wish we had just a little more money and occasionally get annoyed with each other - normal right? Well, someday we may have some big trial come our way, and I'll wish for these normal days back. So, I'm trying to be more grateful for the everyday.


"Spectacular achievement is always preceded by unspectacular preparation." Robert Schuller
The day-to-day process of raising our children is quite unspectacular and I would say even downright dirty work sometimes. But those few perfect moments when you wish you could freeze time and make that memory hold fast in your family's mind forever; those moments are spectacular. And I'm sure when twenty years have passed and I see what truly amazing women our three girls have become (because I'm sure they will be absolutely amazing), it will be spectacular! 

At the same time, even though life isn't always spectacular, there are always moments to enjoy and I love this quote:
So often we get caught up in the illusion that there is something just beyond our reach that would bring us happiness: a better family situation, a better financial situation, or the end of a challenging trial.
We shouldn’t wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available—all the time! Life is not meant to be appreciated only in retrospect. “This is the day which the Lord hath made … ,” the Psalmist wrote. “Rejoice and be glad in it.”

President Uchtdorf

I just love Pres. Uchdorf! (General Conference is in just 4 weeks - yay!)



3 comments:

Shawna said...

You always find the best quotes. They are all so true...I need to print this post out and hang it on my fridge...story of my life! Thanks for all your inspiring posts. Loved our too short chat the other day. I am already compiling a list of things to talk to you about next time:-)

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

Four weeks! That 6 months went by fast! And I too love that last quote! I may have to steal it and hang it in my house!

Thanks for the great reminder, I will gladly take normal any day. :)

Carolyn said...

Great post! It is hard to remember that time really will go by and things really will change. Sometimes I have moments where I know the Spirit is saying, "Notice this. Enjoy this moment." Thanks for posting!