is back...at least for nap time.
I know it is crazy to go back after she hasn't had it for a couple of weeks, but she desperately needs the sleep and I desperately need the sanity!
It has been a very frustrating couple of weeks without binky. But the worst was a few days ago when she absolutely would not take a nap and I didn't have the time to lay next to her to make her sleep. Well, that night she had three AWFUL night terrors. It was so scary! I have seen a lot of night terrors in the past couple of years (Carly used to have them a lot too), but these were by far the worst - I was seriously scared - she looked and acted like she was possesed or something! So, that was the beginning of me rethinking the whole binky thing.
And then I was talking with one of my friends about it yesterday and she said "Why don't you just give it back to her? There is so much in the world to worry and stress about, binky doesn't need to be one of them." Such a simple statement, but it took a load off my shoulders!
It's so funny/sad that such little things can be such a trial to a young mother, ya' know?!
So, Ellie is napping right now. Yay! I told her that she could have her binky for naps and she climbed into her bed and was asleep in 10 minutes, without even a peep!
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm right there with you! Lucy still has hers for naps and night time. In fact, she makes sure she has two, one for her mouth and one to rub on her nose. I think it might be affecting her teeth a little, but I had a pacifier till I was 4 or 5, actually, and dentists have always complimented me on what straight teeth I have and are surprised I never had braces. Your friend is right. There are a lot of other stressful things to worry about than pacifiers!
OH NO! I just got Brynley to give hers up - but she's fighting me with naps. I had to lay down with her today. But, we have no problems at night time, so maybe we're ok?! It's so hard because it's something that OBVIOUSLY soothes them to sleep, but we want them to be grown at the same time! Good luck with it!
OH NO! I just got Brynley to give hers up - but she's fighting me with naps. I had to lay down with her today. But, we have no problems at night time, so maybe we're ok?! It's so hard because it's something that OBVIOUSLY soothes them to sleep, but we want them to be grown at the same time! Good luck with it!
That is so scary about the night terrors. Poor little thing! I bet she is so happy to take a nap and have her binky and froggy. That is so sweet. I totally wouldn't sweat over it. She'll grow out of it and since it's just to fall asleep it's not a big deal. It's not like she's walking around all day with it in her mouth.
WOW, I've never had my kids have night terrors. That would be scary. When it comes to Pacifers it gets to a point when it feel that the child is way to old have have one in public. But I have always given my kids them at night and duringnap time. They have both been awesome sleepers I don't know if the binky was a part of that? I'm sure it is so hard and scary to sleep when your a kid. I do promise she will out grow them! it will just happen one day. But, I always would have my kids ask for the binky before giving it to them. Sometimes they forget and they can go a night or even half of the night without it and not even know it.
Good advice from your friend. Us mothers need their naps probably more than they do!! Don't be so hard on yourself it's ok that you gave the binky back, it's all about keeping your sanity! And Jace has had a few of the night terrors too when they look around the room and look posessed. It's scary and sad. Poor things.
It is seriously comforting to me to hear that other people struggle getting rid of the binky. I just feel like everyone is judging me because Addy is getting older and still has one. However... when I hear that other kids Addy's age or older still have one it makes me feel better =). Crazy, I know!
Night terrors are probably so hard for those little kids to deal with and I think that if you can give them some small piece of comfort to help them to sleep then I am all for it. Besides you are their mom and you know what's best for them.
Post a Comment