Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sandy:

Another New England Adventure

So, Hurricane Sandy found its way to the east coast Monday. We got the worst of it in Connecticut on Monday afternoon and into the night. We stocked up on batteries, canned food, water, and candy bars (the essentials). Our power went out Monday afternoon and isn't expected to come back for several more days. (I'm at the library right now which is why I can post this.) Luckily we have natural gas, so we have hot water and can cook on our stove. (At first I had this sentence reading "Luckily we have gas..." Aaron thought I should be more specific. lol.) We have a block of ice in our freezer so that is our ice chest for now. The girls have been out of school all week and won't go back until Monday. Halloween has been post-poned here and our town is designating Nov. 16th as Halloween this year (now that's something to remember)! Here's some pictures:
 Frolicking around in the hurricane winds with a friend from school (before it got too bad)

 Flashlight dinners with our ghost guests. I think this might be a fun Halloween tradition from now on - Candlelight Halloween dinner with our ghost friends.

Because it's been cloudy it's been getting dark even earlier than normal. We've been eating dinner early and going to bed early (last night the girls were asleep around 7:30).

 Random picture with our neighbors dog, Missy. She loves the girls and the girls love her.

 A fallen branch from the hurricane makes a perfect halloween tree for our ghosts.

 Sand on the streets from Misquamicut Beach (the beach we generally go to)

 Streets of the Stonington Borough (where Aaron works). Luckily Aaron's office was not flooded, but is still without power.

Trees on power lines all over the place.

p.s. Happy Halloween (to everyone not in Stonington)!!!

4 comments:

Shawna said...

Wow Camile! This is crazy and cool and not cool all at the same time. What an adventure. I am glad you guys are all okay! What a memorable Halloween!I love the pictures of the neighborhood you took..is that your neighborhood. The candlelight dinner sounds fun! And going to bed early sounds really nice!

Jill W said...

So glad you're all safe! I was thinking about you, wondering how your sweet family was doing!

Carolyn said...

I guess you are official residents now. Once you make it through a Hurricane you are in! Glad you are doing ok. We had 80 degrees on Halloween here. No complaints. Dustin is at an ASLA thing late tonight. I bet you don't miss late nights.

Leah said...

SO Crazy! There's a way to break you in, right?! Glad you were all safe. I can't believe your girls are so grown now! They are the cutest things!